Salt and pepper shakers have been an integral part of households and restaurants for as long as people can remember. It is believed as a fact that the first-ever salt shaker was invented by John Mason, who was an American Tinsmith in the year 1858. The most familiar spices in the world are salt and pepper and they are also the most used spices of all. Salt is, of course, a staple in every dish and pepper too is a versatile spice and can be added to many dishes. We generally see that salt and pepper, being the most popular spices, are used in a pair.
Before the invention of salt shakers, salt used to be chopped off in large chunks and milled down in a pestle to be added to dishes. However, since time has evolved, things have changed. With the invention of salt and pepper shakers, we now have a more convenient way to add these two essential spices to our dishes whether in the kitchen or on the table. A wide range of materials is used to construct salt and pepper shakers, which are metal, glass, plastic and ceramic. Ceramic started being used to make salt shakers when companies decided to release products that were priced reasonably for the average customer.
Types of Salt and Pepper shakers
You will have seen that salt and pepper shakers always come as a matched set. Did you know that you could identify each of these shakers by the number of holes that you can find on the lids of these shakers? Salt and pepper shakers come in various designs that range from simple screw caps, smaller glass versions to more ornate and intricate models. The more intricate models are usually made of ceramic. Since ceramic salt and pepper shakes also have a wide variety of designs, they also became a popular choice for collectors.
There are many kinds of shakers now that are available in the market. Some shakers are designed in a way that they blend in while some are designed so that they grind the spices before being dispensed. Others can be both aesthetically pleasing yet functional. Here are some of the different types of salt and pepper shakers.
- Basic salt and pepper shakers: As the name suggests, these shakers are the most popular of all and also the most used. These shakers contain a lid with holes on top to allow salt and pepper to be dispensed, respectively. Basic shakers tend to be smaller in size, have a neutral appearance and blend in with the tableware and decor. These types of shakers are simple to use and are also quite affordable. The only con to this type of shakers is that they can only dispense that is pre-ground and may lead to the diminished flavour of the food.
- Salt and pepper grinders: Grinders are the best type of salt and pepper shakers you could use if you want your spices freshly ground. These grinders have an innate mechanism that grinds salt and pepper before dispensing them. Though these were considered a rarity before, they are available quite easily nowadays. This type of grinders, or shakers, freshly grind the spices and thus, add a noticeable flavour profile to the food that really agrees with the palate.
- Stainless steel salt and pepper shakers: This type of shakers are made from stainless steel which are different from the usual glass and ceramic shakers. These shakers come in various designs and look simple yet elegant on the table. Another pro of using stainless steel shakers is that the metal composite prevents the shakers from rusting or tarnishing and thus, they last longer.
- Wooden salt and pepper shakers: This type of shakers are made from wood and have metal components as well. The wood that is used for these shakers gives a natural and rustic look and blends in with several settings. Moreover, they are also very durable and add to the aesthetic.
- Novelty salt and pepper shakers: Novelty shakers are the ones that can be made from a variety of materials and can come in various designs. These shakers are generally bought by collectors. They are most commonly made of plastic or ceramic. Though novelty shakers are obviously functional, many prefer to use it for display especially during the festive seasons.
Best ever salt and pepper shakers and other dining accessories from ExclusiveLane
- ‘Shakers’ Patterns’ Hand Painted Salt & Pepper Shaker Set in Ceramic: If you are looking for an affordable set of ceramic salt and pepper shakers, this product from ExclusiveLane is the one for you. This set of shakers is uniquely hand painted in the Moroccan pattern and comes in the following three colours- blue, white and yellow.
- ‘Desert Owl-Jar Pack’ Hand Glazed Salt & Pepper shaker set with toothpick holder & tray: We have dedicated most of this blog to salt and pepper shakers but there are also dining accessories like toothpick holders, trays etc, that are essential. This product from ExclusiveLane contains not only a salt and pepper shaker set but also contains a tray alongside a toothpick holder. While the shakers are made of ceramic and hand glazed with desert motifs, the tray is made from pine wood and the toothpick holder is of terracotta.
- ‘Woody Hues’ Warli Hand-painted Napkin holder: Napkin holders are one of the several essential dining accessories that can not only be functional but can also add an aesthetic value to your dining room. This beautiful napkin holder hand painted with miniature tribal scenes is perfect to add some ethnic charm to your table. It is also embellished by hand in brown.
- “Cream Coloured” Handcrafted wooden coasters: When we are talking about essential tableware, we can't omit coasters. This set of affordable coasters contains four coasters, all of which are handcrafted from steam beech wood and come in light brown colour. These coasters are best for protecting your drinkware and the surface of your table.
Why choose ExclusiveLane?
ExclusiveLane handicraft store strives to bring to you beautiful handcrafted showpieces, curios and essentials from all over India , made by the most talented artisans. But what we curate are not mere collections of handicrafts but the most exclusive of them, as our name suggests. ExclusiveLane is that online store for handicrafts that will meet all your daily needs and wants besides uplifting the rich heritage of India.